Of the twenty-four churches Ernest A. Coxhead designed throughout California, St. John’s is noteworthy for being virtually intact with only a few minor alterations over the years, and for it’s glorious stained glass windows.
Coxhead completed his professional training in London before beginning his career in 1886 in Los Angeles. He had just moved to the San Francisco area when the vestry chose him to design their new church building. Some of the details of interest in the building are a Romanesque entrance arch, a quatrefoil window over the door, the interior’s open beam ceiling with Elizabethan style truss-work. The glorious stained glass windows add to the beauty of this historical builidng. The church is in use today as a continuing congregation of the Episcopal Church.
According to the Heritage Homes Foundation of Petaluma, St. John’s “embodies the characteristics of the rustic California ‘Bay Tradition,’ a regional expression of the 19th century Shingle Style that had its roots in the English Queen Anne.”